Dental Fillings in Sherwood Park
It’s important to address cavities as soon as possible. Leaving a cavity untreated can lead to painful problems and more expensive treatments down the road. For dental fillings in Sherwood Park, at Park Mall Dental Centre, we use white fillings or composite or tooth-coloured fillings to fill tooth cavities. White fillings can also be used to fix chipped teeth. Using a mixture of plastic and glass, composite fillings match your natural teeth and are bonded to your teeth permanently. The procedure is as follows:
- We apply a cleansing gel
- A bonding solution is created and applied
- Next, we apply the filling material
- Lastly, a high-intensity blue light is placed over the filling to harden the composite
Once complete, the dentist will examine the shape and appearance of the filling and make any necessary alterations.
The following are some of the most common dental filling options:
- Dental Amalgam – Under this procedure, silver-colored fillings are used. These fillings are made with a combination of different metals including silver, copper, tin, and mercury. For many years, dental amalgam is typically being used by the dentists. Amalgam is long-lasting and more affordable than tooth-colored or gold fillings. However, these are not very natural looking which can cause cosmetic concerns for the patient.
- Composite Resins – These are tooth-colored fillings that are made with a mixture of quartz filler material. The resins provide good durability and resistance to fracture in small to mid-size fillings that need to bear pressure from chewing. Most commonly, these are used at front or back teeth.
- Gold Fillings – Gold fillings are also known as inlays or onlays. These comprise of an alloy of gold, copper or other metals. Gold has been in use of dentistry for thousands of years now because there is no match for them when it comes to durability. However, gold is more costly than the above two filling types.
These are the three most used types of dental fillings. The type of filling to be used depends on the condition of your cavity and other factors like the budget. However, it is best to consult with your dentist so that they may advise you the best filling that can be ideal for the cavity and offer durability to you as well. Don’t hesitate, schedule your appointment with one of our dentist today if you are having a cavity.
To learn more about dental fillings in Sherwood Park, contact us at Park Mall Dental Centre and speak with one of our dentists about your options. All services performed by a general dentist.